Quotas allows configuration of soft quotas for users’ home directories, along with alerts when quotas are approached or exceeded.
Quotas operates based on the metadata that Data Services ingests and indexes from the file system of users for the Global Search service, and is dependent on that service for its operations.
Currently the Quotas service supports soft quotas, meaning that it does not have the quota enforcement capabilities for the configured quotas, through limiting over quota additional data to be added to the targets on the filers; It is only capable of alerting the users on the status of the configured quotas.
Also, the Quota service target directories are limited to groups and users’ home directories in the file systems. When configured quotas’ warning levels or quota levels are passed, based on the configured alerts at the time of quota configurations, email alerts are sent out to the recipients’ email addresses that are configured for the quota, in order to notify them about the quota statuses.
PDS Quotas: Default Quota Settings
The Default Quota Setting section of the Quotas service is the section in which users specify the default settings which could be used for configuring quota policies.
When accounts have multiple clusters, in the Default Quota Setting section, users can select the CloudFS or the cluster for which they want to configure soft quotas. After selecting the CloudFS, users need to specify the Root Path under which the targets of the soft quotas reside. And finally, users need to Enable the soft quota for the above settings.
In the Default Quota Setting, the complete paths (CloudFS + Filer + Root Path) for all the filers of the selected CloudFS are displayed, and when the settings are Saved, they could be used as the default settings for the Quota Policies.
PDS Quotas: Quota Policies
The Quota Policies are the instruments through which users define the soft quotas for target directories. The New Policy button in the Quotas page, opens an empty Policy Form for users to configure the quota parameters in, and Save it. The Policy Forms have the following field to be configured:
- Default: which uses the Default Quota Settings the policy, when it is turned on
- Enable: which enable or disable the policies when users like to
- Policy Name: which is the name users have to assign to each Quota Policy
- Type: to select whether the policy is for a User or a User Group. The Type option is only available when users have not selected the Default option for the policy
- Define Quota: which depending on the choice for the Type, users can select from different options for it:
- User Type: for which the Define Quota provides the list of the file system users to be selected from
- User Group: for which the Define Quota provides the list of the user groups defined in Active Directory
The Define Quota option is available only when the Default option is not selected for the policy
- Quota Size: through which users set the value for the soft quota
- Threshold: which specifies at what percentage of the set soft quota, warning alerts must be sent
- Email Recipients: is where users specify the email addresses that they want the quota or threshold alerts to be sent. Users have the option to enter Owner instead of email address of the owner of the target directory
- Email Template: through which users select an email template for the alerts, from the list of the templates they have created. There is a default option in case users have not created any customized email template
- Frequency is where users select the frequency the alerts to be sent, when quotas or thresholds are reached. The options for Frequency are: Once, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly
- Alert Via: is where users specify the channel through which the alerts must be sent. Currently, the only available option is email
When quota policies are created, they are listed in tables in the Quota Policy section of the Quotas page, and they could be edited and deleted from there. The policy tables under the Quota Policy are as follows:
- User Policy which lists the Quota Policies created for users (i.e. Type: User) and shows the following fields of information:
- Policy Name
- Define Quota
- Quota Size
- User Group Policy which lists the Quota Policies created for groups (i.e. Type: User Group) and shows the following fields of information:
- Policy Name
- User Group Name
- Quota Size
PDS Quotas: Email Templates
The Quota Alerts that are sent to users are based on Email Templates. Users can either use the default template or create their own. The Email Templates are managed through the Email Template Management page, which is accessible through the Email Templates button. The Email Template Management page provides the list of all the Email Templates created with their Names, Subjects and the snippet of their Bodies for the emails, as well as the link for their preview. Users can select templates and edit or delete them.
Users are able to create new templates either through the Add Template button of the Email Template Management page, or directly from the New Policy forms. The required information for creating a new template is the Name, the Subject of the email, and the Body of the email.
Users are able to compose their alert messages using the provided text editor for new templates. The text editor also allows users to embed dynamic data related to the quotas, including: users ID, users first name, users last name, users email address, quota value, threshold value, threshold percentage, quota name, triggered local date, triggered UTC date, triggered local time, triggered UTC time, used data volume, target, and filer hostname.
The default Email Template, which is also accessible and downloadable through the Email Template Management page, has the following fileds:
- Quota User
- Used Size (GB)
- Quota Size (GB)
- Threshold Size (GB)
- Threshold %
- Local Date
- UTC Date